Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Nguzo Saba #4 Ujamaa - Cooperative Economics




The fourth Kwanzaa principle, Ujamaa, honors the value of cooperative economics. The definition of cooperative economics is "local people cooperating with each other to provide for the essentials of living." The essentials of living include food, clothes, housing, education, and entertainment.

I loved this particular principle because it has much to do with building businesses which I am all for! If anybody knows me I am always on a "new" venture of some sort, charge it to the libra in me. A few years back I obtained my real estate license and in the next 2 years will have earned a license to do hair as well. Why all this you ask? Well because those are two things I enjoy and eventually want to do both as full time employment and after reading this principle, it also helps my community!

Now from what I hear around town, our economy isn't the best for finding regular employment but why does it have to end there? I think it has never been a better time to start your own business, more importantly doing something that you love, which might actually fall under one of the categories of the Ujamaa principle. Even better than all this is those of you who are currently working a full time job, who don't have any additional sources of income if that one was to go flat. I never thought of my ventures as potential fall backs until I started this blog and now I realize the importance of it.

This day isn't just about building and maintaining businesses but its about creating a business doing something you love, ultimately leading to wealth and a much more joyous life. People talk a LOT about starting businesses with loans, but I am here to tell you that YOU DON'T NEED IT. Michigan has a program called no worker left behind to help you get training in certain fields for free. There are a tone of start up companies that cost little to no money, all you need is a laptop and a decent internet connection.


I honestly believe that once you start doing smart things with money, doors open up that you never thought would, I have experienced that first hand. So lets work together, build businesses and serve each other while building wealth I know it can be done so lets get it!

No comments: