Saturday, December 26, 2009

The Nguzo Saba #1 Umoja - Unity


Welcome to the very first Divine Debt Free Kwanzaa celebration! I must admit when I first thought of this idea I assumed it was going to be pretty simple. As the days grew nearer I realized I had not figured out one post yet!! But don't fret because I am the queen of last minute stuff and amazingly my best work is done so you are in for a treat!

Our first principle is all about Unity which happens to be one of my favorite principles of all of the seven.

Unity : Concord; harmony; conjunction; agreement; uniformity; as, a unity of proofs; unity of doctrine.

Ever heard of the saying it takes a village to raise a child? Well the saying also applies to building a community of financially savvy people. I started this site to help promote financial literacy not only on the world wide web but here in my town. Money can be such a taboo topic, but it can also be one of the worst things to destroy us as people. If I spend an hour, or 20 minutes helping someone figure out a budget or teaching someone about how to write letters to credit card companies I am doing what I am passionate about. Eventually I want to start a company dedicated to helping people pay off debt and prosper. We as people should be about leaving legacies to our children not debt!!

So my challenge for everyone this Kwanzaa season, is to Educate your community. It doesn't have to be about money but it can be about anything positive you feel your community needs to know! REACH ONE TEACH ONE TOGETHER!

If you can start a blog about something your passionate about or have expertise in, or create a community or church news letter. Maybe your good at taking pictures and you can help people capture priceless moments. Whatever it is get out and spread some knowledge because no matter how old we get we all could use more. Non of us can do it alone but together I KNOW we CAN!

If you have an idea or project that you would like to promote here, feel free to contact me and I will do my best to spread the word.

HAPPY KWANZAA !

2 comments:

Alonzo-MochaMoney.com said...

I don't understand why talking about money is such a taboo. We'll gossip or discuss about everything under the sun including people's personal lives and even sex lives but when it come to money - we won't touch that subject with a ten foot pole.

Looking forward to your series!!!

Divine and Debt Free said...

Exactly Alonzo, but a lot of people are ashamed to talk about how much debt they are in, I think once people get over the shame its all good. But you gotta first realize most of us are in the same boat. When you live like the joneses nobody really ever knows whats going on until you see a foreclosure sign on their door.