Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Nguzo Saba #2 Kujichagulia - Self Determination

Self Determination : refers to independence and control over one’s life. It is an ordering of one’s desires and determination to purposefully control one’s destiny. ...

Now based on this definition one might argue that "WE" don't have control over anything God does. While I do believe God is ultimately in control, he also give us control as well. I don't recall God telling me what to wear this morning, what to eat, or what to buy at the after Christmas sales. People who say God is in control are using him as an excuse not to take responsibility over things that THEY should already be doing.

As I read the news each day it looks more as though the government is in control. With the new health care bill in place, the control over businesses, religion and who knows what else its a wonder why we as people wouldn't want to be responsible for anything at all. I have been independant for most of my adult life and more recently began to realize my calling or my "purpose" in life. I would be devastated if someone told me that my dreams can't come true because "THEY" suddenly had control over my life instead of me.

When I look back over the last 5 years over my life I realized debt had control of me. My dreams where put into a little tiny box never to be opened. I felt I was nothing, had no desire to be anything more than what I was. Since I have been paying off debt I started to see many more dreams that I could actually attain. Like being a stay at home mom working from home, being able to have 4 kids (God willing) instead of one or 2, completing college with no debt, traveling the world and the list goes on.

It is a desire of mine to make sure people see beyond their 4 walls, but in order to do that you must be willing to change your current state of mind. Money certainly doesn't mean everything to me, but if I am to be a good stewart I must make plans for it and my future.

So today I challenge people to be determined to do something different. If there aren't any jobs create one, if you have been putting off children because of debt.. DON'T if you want to go to college debt free, start applying for scholarships and dedicate a summer to just that. What ever it is make sure you realize your dreams and follow through. We all have stumbling blocks at some point in time but its how we handle the block that gets us through. You do have control, you do have the power that God gives you to be what ever you want to be in life. Once you believe that.... you have already won!

No comments: