Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Goal Setting and Education

Me and higher education have never been the best of friends. You could say my hatred developed somewhere in between graduated from high school and my first semester at community college. I have written post about higher education and my disdain for some people who go on to obtain degrees and deem themselves "better" than me. The older and wiser I get I realize that all of my reasoning behind not wanting to finish college made no sense (other than all that debt). I really didn't hate college because of the people, I hated college because for me it represented my failure.

I won't get into ALL the details surrounding my failure, but I will admit to one reason and that is lack of planning. Today I am here to say something that you probably already know. If you fail to plan you PLAN to fail. I have always heard this saying but it hasn't really meant anything until now. Yes I have been on a plan to get out of debt but much of the rest of my life over the last 3 years have been kinda all over the place. Im turning 28 and I think getting older always brings about reevaluation of the last year.

I want to do things differently this year and with a concrete plan,instead of this pie in the sky type of mentality I have had for so long. Total rabbit trail..... Back to education, yes I hate it but I am seriously thinking I should finish college. One thing that keeps holding me back is my inability to complete a math class. This time around I figure if I take all my math requirements I won't be so quick to drop out because of my math phobia. Right now im working on a MATH game plan, not a 5 or 6 year plan to finish college, or pay for it or anything, just MATH. Taking on to much is a sure fire way to fail so thats what I plan on NOT doing.

Paying cash will be the only way I finish and Im totally fine with it taking a while even if that means only 1 or 2 classes a year. I realized the idea of doing to much freaked me out so much to the point of doing nothing at all. I don't want to regret my life, and I want to show my kids the best way to make it in the world and while education doesn't mean EVERYTHING it is important.

How are you at goal setting? Have you ever tried to do something without a plan? How did it turn out?

No comments: