Monday, December 28, 2009

The Nguzo Saba #3 Ujima-Collective Work and Responsibility


Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility)

To build and maintain our community together and make our brother's and sister's problems our problems and to solve them together. Ujima recognizes and respects collective work, struggle and progress. This principles purposes that African Americans are responsible for their progress and achievements, as well as their failures. Ujima also purposes, that communication is key in the relationship of African Americans to one another. Reconciliation, after conflict is of utmost importance in practice, commitment and in the principle of Ujima.


As I reviewed the definition of the particular principle, it struck a chord with me that I did not anticipate. On of my biggest issues among our community is that we don't help each other enough. We have come a very long way and the fruits of our ancestors labor is so evident. But sometimes it's hard to tell in the midst of seeing families fall apart. This is why it was so important to bring financial peace university to my community. I feel as though once enough of us are exposed to our own truths and failures, we can begin to uplift and rebuild each other back up and in turn help another. If we don't shed light on the situations, they can't be fixed.

A good friend of mine was explaining to me why she though marriage was not such a good idea in these days. It hurts me to continually hear people talk about losing faith in each other when we should be pulling closer together. Now I don't profess that I know how to fix a marriage, but I will attest to knowing how to communicate with each other helps a LOT. We as people have got to stop living on our own little islands and having this every man for himself mentality especially when it comes to the area of finance. Someone told me I needed a college degree in order to talk to people about money and I eagerly begged to differ. My life experiences have taught me way more about money than any
pedigree ever could. Do I still believe in college? Absolutely but living is also a teacher.

So what am I saying after all this ranting? Get out and go help someone. I'm starting to notice this Theme after each post and the message gets more clear every day. I want people to be successful but ya gotta want it for yourself. Stop making excuses for why you can't help each other and either get better so you can help, or stop complaining enough to go find help. It's time out for selfishness and pride. Let's be the people we claim to be and love one another through showing kindness and respect. I believe when you begin to do these things, the rest follows.

No comments: